Monday, August 22, 2011

In Which Adam Goes to Europe: Part 1.1.3: Berlin

Today is museum day! So to Museum Island we go!

We begin our day at the Neues (New) Museum. Having originally opened in 1855, it isn't exactly new, per se, however, it was severely damaged in World War II, and was not completely rebuilt and reopened until 2009.

Here I am!

Anywho, the museum!

The Neues Museum is particularly noted for having a very extensive Egyptian exhibit. In particular, they have that rather famous bust of Queen Nefertiti which I am sure all of you have seen somewhere or another. Alas, for that room did not allow photographs, but then again, that is what I have a sketchbook for.

So here we go, sketches:



And museum photos:






























Following this, we went for lunch. Now, in the past few years, I have had several familymembers and friends all go to Germany. Each time, I had requested that they bring me back some wienerschnitzel. And each time, they returned emptyhanded. It was very upsetting. So, I am in Germany now, I says to myself, and so, I am going to get me some gosh darned wienerschnitzel. And I did.
And it was good.

We also had Berliner Weisse, which is an odd sort of beer that has been sweetened with syrup made from the Woodruff plant. I'm not really much of a drinker, but it was interesting.
It's greeeeen.

At this point, we had met up again with Jurgen, who was to take us on more tours of the city area.
Statue in the town square.

We went on a small boat ride down the Spree River. It was fairly short, but it was relaxing enough.




Following this, we made a quick stop by the mall and picked up some doughnuts. I do quite like all the Art Nouveau architecture here.



Following this, we climbed up the Siegessäule (Berlin Victory Column.) The Siegessäule is a monument in central Berlin which was built in 1864 to commemorate the Prussian's victory in the Danish-Prussian war. It is also very, very tall. And I was still very much jetlagged. 


Blargh. *dies*














Next, the palace of the former Kaiser:
And then dinner!
Pork leg!

And thus ends or trip in Berlin!

Up next, we go to the middle of nowhere, and family history time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always nice to hear what you have to say. =]